Monday, October 17, 2016

Kona Diaries – Day #16 (2 days till the big day)

Today I started the day with running around in my underwear with hundreds of my closest friends. Well first I walked into a shut screen door trying to check out someone else walking around in theirs! Oops! Good thing it wasn’t glass – that’s all I have to say!

The UPR – Underpants run or rather jog/walk or "parade" takes place every Thursday morning before the race, and it’s a blast. It definitely lightens the mood a bit and anyone whether you are racing or not can participate.

Kids & adults 

The entry fee does go to a local charities, so it’s for a good cause! Fun AND for good cause = winning! 

The only shark I ever want to see here! 

Underwear run was followed by breakfast put on by one of our sponsors Castelli. The food was delicious and so was the company. With 48 hours to go, I usually start upping the carb intake a bit, so nice big(er) breakfast was just what I needed.

I cleaned up the eggs and first round of bacon too fast. With 2 days out, can't forget the beet juice! ;) 

The view didn’t suck either. 

Post breakfast it was back to the condo for bit of a down time, before heading back to the expo.
This time to get my 2nd edition “Cupcakes with Cal” hat!

Got one! Cal said next time he will bring me a cupcake too 

Post expo, I squeezed in a nap followed by a short run in the late afternoon to avoid the hottest part of the day. There is no need to stress the body anymore, and now it’s just about staying sharp, and as rested as possible. I was also able to test out my new handheld waterbottle (Thank you Max and Nathan for sending me one) that I will be using on race day.

Time flies when you are having fun, and before I knew it was time to get ready for the opening banquet. I don’t usually go to these, but the one here in Kona is awesome, and although the food isn’t exactly the best, and it can get quite long, I highly recommend everyone to go at least once! It’s a great showcase of local culture, the Aloha spirit, and the 140.6 mile journey we are about to embark on. If you are in need of extra inspiration for race day, you will find it here.

The awesome stage I hope to stand on again in a couple days! 

The banquet was followed up by athletes briefing in which race director for each leg of the race gets up on stage and takes athletes through all the rules. This is the long part, and I actually didn’t stay the entire time as I already know the drill. No pass zone on the bike going down Palani, absolutely NO drafting (ya, right!), and chicken soup on the run course by certain time. I usually try to get mine from the med tent instead ;).

Post banquet, nothing left to do but rest, rest, and rest! Just 2 more sleeps! 

No comments:

Post a Comment