Thursday, October 6, 2016

Kona Diaries – Day #14 (4 days till the big day)


Let the madness begin! Today was first day of athletes registration as well as the official first day of the expo.

I got up bright and early and headed over for a quick open water swim to the coffee boat and back!

Hello Coffee Boat

At this point, the pier is so crowded and people are coming and going in and out of the water that in order to stay safe you almost have to sight every stroke, but the water is still beautiful and so are the fishes! I don’t know about you, but every time I focus in on the beauty down below me, I start to get motion sickness so I am sadly mostly about business and focusing on my stroke and where I am going rather than looking at the beauty that’s below me.

Just keep swimming, just keep swimming 

 I did however stop a few times and messed around with the GoPro – you just have to! As I said at this point the work is done, and staying lose and relaxed is key. (This part is really beginning to get hard as race day is quickly approaching!)

The visibility sucks, right? ;) 

I have no idea what's happening here but my tan lines are on point and my stomach couldn't be more white! 

Post swim, I headed back to the house and had my usual breakfast, before heading right back out to register.

Officially Official

Actually a very cool backpack - too bad I didn't find sunglasses inside that case that is part of the bag. 

The swag inside the bag - nothing atypical at all! I refused the Red Bull so just missing a can of that. 

After that, I walked the expo, met up with cool kids at BlueSeventy who always take care of me, as well as Quintana Roo and met some new friends, potential sponsors. Before I knew it, I have been on my feet for way too long and was getting tired. The sun was out in full force and I needed to get of my feet, but I wanted to get all the expo stuff out of the way so the next 3 days could be spent mostly chilling with my feet up.

We had lunch at our favorite dinner spot – Umeke’s Bar and Grill! Their menu doesn’t change whether you come at lunch or dinner time and so I essentially had repeat of dinner from the other night for lunch. It’s THAT good!

I could (and almost have been) eating Poke every single day! Soooo fresh and so good!

After lunch, I headed back to the expo this time with “Flash”. Flash just needed one last look over by the Quintana Roo folks, and I am happy to report that all checked out with flying colors!

Most likely my final race day set up! I know I may be losing some aerodynamic advantage with 2 frame bottles but I am going with the ideal nutrition/fueling set up vs. aero frame as I feel that will pay of big later in the race

I had also dropped of my race shoes (Saucony Kinvara 7s) with BOA folks, who retrofitted them with this badass closure that I absolutely love as it is super adjustable on the fly and much more comfortable than any other speed lace out there.

I LOOOOOVE love my Kinvara 7s! 

Before I knew it was somehow almost 5pm and I still needed to run (I didn’t want to run in the middle of the day anymore and continue to stress the body that much more), and then I had one last massage with the only and only Mr. Byron Thomas! Run was short (30 min) and great and massage was glorious! Not exactly spa like relaxing but just exactly what my body needed. It was the perfect pre-race tune up, and I can’t believe I’ll probably have to wait another year before I get to see this guy again (Unless I get him to move to Boston from CO – I have now been trying for a year and still no luck). He is the shizzle! 

Post massage dinner was bison burgers with a side of rice and veggies. YUM! 

It was the perfect ending to a super busy day, and I am looking forward to staying off my feet tomorrow as much as I can! It’s almost GO time!






No comments:

Post a Comment