Thursday, October 13, 2016

Kona Diaries – Day #15 (3 days till the big day)

This morning I slept in a little bit, had light breakfast and then headed out to my TV gig! Just like last year, the folks from Czech wanted a quick pre-race interview at the Ironman Championship wall, and this time they also wanted to film me doing my thing on the bike. I had a short 40ish min spin so they tagged a long for a little bit, and then we went our separate ways.  

I don’t get to speak Czech that often, so speaking on camera is a bit nerve wracking to me but it’s fun! In the end, they’ll pick what to use and what not to use as part of 1 hour or 90 min Ironman World Championships coverage on Czech TV (Think the NBC coverage here in the U.S. but just in my home country). I’ll probably get like 30 seconds of fame, but something is better than nothing, right? 

This photo is from last year, but we essentially did the same thing except I wore my E3 cycling kit as I was heading out for a ride afterwards with the camera guy in tow, and I probably had  helmet hair because I had to ride my bike to this spot. I am not quite THE celebrity that would warrant a whole make up team ;) (yet) 

The place was also quite a bit crowded as this was going on so I had quite the audience as I was blocking the wall for those who wanted to take a pic by their name. The whole interview was about my goals for the race, and what if anything have I done differently since last year. 

The rest of the day was spent chilling, and eating, and relaxing and of course another trip to Lava Java for a treat or two and the expo. I always think I can get everything done in one day, but it never works out like that.

Lava Java front lawn. You know it is packed when this is what it looks like in front of the café. Perhaps we all need to add a kickstand to our tri bikes?

Now meet just a couple of members of the awesome QR team that made the trip to Kona to take care of their athletes! Thank you guys for making me feel so special,and I do apologize for sweating right through my shirt (it is hot here in Kona!) 

 One of the QR mechanics who made sure my bike was race ready! 

Bryanna who keeps the show running all year long! Thank you for all you do! (Just keep sweating, just keep sweating) 

I had also spent some time visualizing my race day! I always do that from the very beginning to the end including my race strategy, fueling/nutrition and even transitions. It’s getting close now, and the excitement as well as the nerves are really starting to kick in.Setting a bit of time aside each day to visualize my race day routine helps me feel confident and ready to go! 

Quiet spot to visualize, reflect and focus! 

Without workout #2 on my schedule for the first time in a very long time (Yeah taper),we headed to the TrainingPeaks/Best Bike Split party which was a ton of fun! I got to meet a lot of people, and eat poke! Party catered by “Da Poke Shack”? Hell yes! It was a great time, followed by early bed time.

The excietement is building day by day and so is the craziness! Can we just race already?

No comments:

Post a Comment