Monday, August 12, 2013

Ready for FUN!

Timberman 70.3 was my 1st race ever working with coach Jorge, and it was the first time I went sub 5 in a 70.3. It was actually my first 70.3 on a tri bike (his tri bike because I didn’t have my own and he was nice enough to let me use his). Little did he know, I had marked my territory ;), became addicted to Felt, and that’s how “Fireball” came around.

Fast forward 3 years later, and in just 5 short days, I will be toeing the start line of that same course ready to rock!  


I will be ready to swim like a shark is chasing me

Or maybe I'll be the one chasing the shark? ;) 

Bike like my “Fireball” knows how!


 And finally RUN like I stole it for 13.1 miles!


Just keep moving ;)

Due to it’s close proximity to my home, I have trained on the course! I have swam, biked, and ran the Timberman course in the last few weeks many times, and it is pretty safe I know every pothole, turn, uphill, downhill that will get thrown my way. I have biked the course with Fireball being race ready and I have ran on the course more than I can count one hand.

Sure, I have goals, few time goals, and quite honestly the possibilities are a little bit “scary” but also very realistic! I have worked my butt off and have been consistent. Day in, day out, week after week, month after month, and year after year.  The last 5ish weeks have in my eyes have been “special”. I had good days, I had great days, I thought I couldn’t, but yet I always surprised myself, and with each week I have been feeling physically and mentally stronger.  And then there were the “bad” days - the days when it didn’t come easy. The days when I had to mentally dig deep to make it happen, and the DAY when it just didn’t happen.


THAT was the day that opened my eyes. See, sometimes it’s really easy to get caught up in the numbers. That day, when I struggled through the 2nd half of the workout really unable to complete it the  way I knew I could left me looking deeper and searching for the “why”, “how”, “when” etc.  I struggled within my own head.  The next swim workout after that was not pretty either. As a matter of fact, it was worse than the one I wrote about. I mentally didn't have it. I had no fight in me, and I gave in. I gave in to those loud voices in my head.  I so quickly forgot about the weeks and months of great training, and continuous improvement because I felt slow that day. The numbers got the best of me! Thankfully I have great coaches, and friends who talked a bit of “sense” into me.

And then I came across this quote:

"If you want to be your best, spend a lot of time exploring what is more than enough. Push yourself right off the edge of your capacity."

Aaaaand, the light bulb went off. 


I really let numbers get the best of me which is so easy when very specific goals are involved. What I am really trying to get to (and I know it’s taking way too long) is that sometimes it’s important to take a step back and realize WHY we do what we do.  For me personally, I am competitive – always have been and always will be.  I have short term goals. I have long term goals. At Timberman, I want to win and I want to qualify for 70.3 worlds next year, but none of that is going to happen if I just chase numbers. 

Those few workouts when I struggled really opened up my eyes, and made me realize, that I need to “forget” about the numbers a little bit. I need to just go out there and have fun, because that is really why I do this – it is FUN! It is FUN to watch myself grow as an athlete and person whether it be physically or emotionally, while along the way hopefully motivating some of you too because YES – anything is possible if you just want it bad enough. 

The day after I took a step back and stopped chasing paces or watts, I had the best workout I have ever had. It so happened to be on the Timberman course itself, and it gave me a huge level of confidence going into Sunday’s race.

No, I will not bore you with graphs, fitness curves, or paces or watts, but I can tell you that I cannot wait to race! I feel more ready to race than I ever have before, and I am ready to have a blast! Whatever happens happens, but I know one thing – I will leave it all out there … in that water, on that bike or the run course, and I’ll cross the finish line having no regrets! I am going to relax and I'll let my training take me through the day. I am ready for some FUN, and I am ready to RACE my heart out. I am ready to WIN! (And I really want some maple syrup ;) ) 

Who else is excited for this weekend?  

No comments:

Post a Comment